gaming news
-($0.03)
Quotes delayed 20 min.
cherry red casino
Play Now!

Hollywood Casino Opens in Indiana

By Brian Chan on June 25, 2009  Email it!    Print Version

Play Slots at Rushmore Casino! LAWRENCEBURG, INDIANA -- Penn National Gaming opened its new state-of-the-art riverboat casino in Lawrenceburg, Indiana today, near the Kentucky border. The new gaming venue replaces the Argosy Casino, which docked there for thirteen years.

Penn officials noted the upgrade, which was two years in the making, will help safeguard revenues and retain patron loyalty if gambling laws in nearby states change, introducing more competition to the area.

The general manager of the Argosy, Tony Rodio, said the investment in the Hollywood Casino will help "defend our market if and when they (other states) get gaming.”

The new riverboat cost $335 million and contains a 150,000 square foot gambling floor. Over 1000 more customers can gamble at additional slots and table seats for blackjack and roulette than were able to on the Argosy.

The boat will also host a stop on the expanding World Poker Tour.

The Argosy had grown so popular that customers were turned away on weekends, as the 3700 passenger capacity had been filled. The Hollywood will hold over 9000 employees and patrons at one time.

Penn National executives estimate that the new casino will generate between $60 million to $80 million more in revenue over the first twelve months it operates.

Digg it! Stumble it! Add to Reddit! Add to Newsvine!

Previous USA Casino News Articles

Recent Comments

Posted by bill bannister on 06/29/2009 12:24:42 PM EST
I represent WXIN-TV, Indianapolis, and would like to talk with your ad manager or agency about a television campaign. 317-715-6244
Posted by TONY on 07/05/2009 11:57:16 AM EST
IS THIS NEW CASINO AT THE SAME PLACE WHERE ARGOSY WAS?
Posted by jackkie on 07/08/2009 11:40:38 PM EST
I just left the casino and I found it not to be handicap friendly.I needed a wheel chair but you had no staff availabel to push to the gambling area.I walked stopping along the way but the long hall had very little seating alone the wall.I use oxygen,I use to go by myself and someone would push without the staffs help this is difficult.
Posted by nora woods on 07/25/2009 07:02:53 PM EST
Last evening I too needed a wheelchair since Hollywood Casino is so big now and was told there was a 25.00 deposit required and to come up to a certain place to get one. Well we called Grand Vic where there was not a 25.00 deposit and all we had to do was call ahead and someone would bring the wheelchair to us up front. situations such as this should be handed much more ease and proper courtesy than what was done on the phone.We decided to go to Grand Vic because of the courtesy and how I was made at ease to what would be done when we arrived at the casino.I really wanted to go to the new Casino but I was made to feel less than welcomed especially since one time I had a bad experience at Argosy when being sick and laid my head down on a bench and a woman with security was less than cordial of what I was doing and that I was sick. I did talk to head of the Security team at the time and he was very professional and kind in communicating with me over the incident. Kindness and the extra effort to those who are disabled or handicapped is of great importance in any kind of community. thank you Nora Woods
Posted by Deborah COlvard on 09/14/2009 04:02:48 AM EST
I was at your casino on Tuesday 9/1/09 & I lost my ATM card. I asked one of your security guards if anyone had turned it in, he said he would make a call & get back yo me. I told him I would be in the cafe inside the casino. I waited 45 minutes & he never got back to me. I assumed it had not been turned in but I called back Thursday & was told they did have it & it would be with a guard when you come in. I came back to the casino Saturday midday, asked for my card & was told they could not find it but that someone from lost & found was coming down & that he would ask her. Needless to say when I came out they still didn't have my card & informed me that they get so many ATM cards that they can't keep them longer the 24 hours so they are destroyed after one day. That is the policy. Funny no one mentioned that policy to me when I called about my card. I am extremely angry, I have called there 3 times, I left 2 voice messages with my telephone number & am still waiting for a call back. You had no right to destroy my property. When you trained your employees for the new switch over you forgot the customer service training.
Posted by val on 09/25/2009 12:21:18 PM EST
I don't go there, but I heard that the winnings are far and few between.
Posted by tony on 10/04/2009 02:49:39 PM EST
its great the staff was friendly and i won
Posted by Diane Lindsey on 10/06/2009 11:25:20 AM EST
I have been to Hollywood twice and it is great. I did win and that was nice, but the atmosphere is wonderful, staff is friendly and I will be going again.
Posted by Angie Vance on 10/08/2009 06:33:18 PM EST
I love the hollywood casino, I have met alot of great people there and have made some great friends. I love to play the machines I dont win big but I have a good time
Posted by Robin Boyd on 10/30/2009 09:51:47 AM EST
I made a bus trip to the Hollywood on October 26th. My first time. I only had 5 hours of play time since we arrived at 11:30 and was scheduled to leave at 5:30. After about an hour I was at a .25 machine, put in $20.00 played that down to $10.00, went to cash out, and the machine froze! I was literally stuck at that machine for over 3 hours before anyone came around to pay me so I could move on!!!! I was not the only one....many machines were down. After all was said and done, I was left with less than an hour of time left before I was to be on the bus again. I left highly aggravated, upset, and feeling robbed of a day that I had planned and saved for, for a long time. I understand that problems arise from time to time, the more upseting part is that the staff did not come around to assist anyone, if you had to go to the bathroom well....I will not be going again, and leave a word of wisdom to by-pass a trip to the Hollywood!!!!
Posted by Jason Flannery on 12/18/2009 09:01:41 PM EST
Is this the old boat? Argosy?
Posted by Jason Flannery on 12/18/2009 09:07:11 PM EST
I loved this casino! I was there the month of October 09'....my bartender 'David' at 'Hollywood on the Roof' was super friendly and made great conversation and the drinks were good too! The entertainment was great!! I loved the Elvis impersonator (although the crowd was a bit too loud..) I will be back! I also won 20 bucks on the slots.....
Posted by Gloria Hollandsworth on 02/13/2010 05:38:37 PM EST
We need info. on motel reservations for March 5-6,2010. We have not been to the new casino. Do you have any package offers?
Posted by Animesh Biawas on 03/07/2010 04:58:35 AM EST